Sunday, January 17, 2010

sara is a sentence

Charles Simic

Charles Simic is a sentence.
A sentence has a beginning and an end.

Is he a simple or compound sentence?
It depends on the weather,
It depends on the stars above.

What is the subject of the sentence?
The subject is your beloved Charles Simic.

How many verbs are there in the sentence?
Eating, sleeping and fucking are some of its verbs.

What is the object of the sentence?
The object, my little ones,
Is not yet in sight.

And who is writing this awkward sentence?
A blackmailer, a girl in love,
And an applicant for a job.

Will they end with a period or a question mark?
They'll end with an exclamation point and an ink spot.

--Charles Simic (clearly)

Today, I am convinced no one will read this. I'm pretty sure my boyfriend hasn't even read it. But that's alright. I truly am doing it for the discipline, the writing, the commitment to something everyday. So, if anyone is out there, do comment, I'd love to know.

I'm making boeuf bourguignon tonight. It's simmering right now and the house smells sinful. So rich it's almost sexual...I'm seducing the entire household. I love to cook. And as time goes on, I'm sure there will be many posts about cooking and gardening. What can I say? I'm a hedonistic girl.

So, on to our poem (that I love, by the way). It's cheeky and irreverent, and absolutely dead on. Ordinarily, I hate question marks in poems, but they work here. This is much my poem right now. A sentence with an object yet to be sight. I am a sentence, the subject with many verbs. Cooking is one of those verbs, as is dreaming, feeding the dogs, taking a shower...and yes, fucking is one of them too. (Perhaps tonight even, sorry Mom.) Our poem is very much what I was trying to get at in an earlier post. The meantime or object of our sentence isn't what's always so important. Just make sure there's some verbs present. And especially make sure that cooking/eating delicious food and fucking are there.

Sunday Hedonist signing out...

No comments: